one page web templates

Newick Sports Pavilion

Newick Sports Pavilion is home to Newick's cricket, football, rugby union and stoolball clubs as well as being the finish line for the annual Newick Will Page 10k Road Race.

When it is not being used by the sports clubs it is also available for private hire for meetings, parties and other activities.


Newick’s sporting history goes back to when a timber pavilion was first erected during the 1890s on the old rented cricket ground on what is now the Cricketfield Housing Estate. The Recreation Ground or to give it its proper name, the King George V Memorial Playing field was ‘born’ in 1937/38 and in 1945/46 the afore-mentioned old timber pavilion, was moved to the new ground.

The first modern pavilion premises were built in 1968 with the stoolball hut located next to the pavilion being used for extra storage.

During the 'Hurricane' in 1987 a large tree next to the Pavilion was blown down destroying the pavilion and the shed and over the next two years the premises were rebuilt.

In 1996, when the Rugby Club needed facilities they managed to raise significant funds, including Lottery funds, which were used to build an extension to the premises which provided extra showers, changing rooms and a bar and social area.

In the 1950s and 60s Newick ran one football and one cricket team and in 1965 Newick Rugby Club was formed. Since then the number of teams in each sport has grown to the extent that there are now 2 football teams, 2 rugby teams with a minis section, 4 adult cricket teams and 2/3 junior teams and a ladies stoolball and a mixed stoolball team. These have increased in line with the population of Newick, which has grown commensurately over the same period.

Combined club memberships now stand at about 500, including at least 100 juniors, which represent around 20% of the population of Newick.